Monday, September 29, 2014

Crowdsourcing.....creating something huge from so many things!

Crowdsourcing is something that has always seemed cool to me, but I never knew how much went into it. Working on this project has opened my eyes to the variety it can bring to projects. One such example is Eric Whitacre’s virtual choir. This guy sent out music and a video of him directing it so people could get the tempo down, and received hundreds of videos of people singing different parts to the song. He then put them all together and had someone put each individual screen together with Eric’s in front, and it became a virtual choir. I was quite astounded by this feat as it was one of the biggest crowdsourcing projects I had ever come across. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7o7BrlbaDs

Also, I had never considered Wikipedia a crowdsourcing project, but it totally is! I am on Wikipedia almost daily, to look up information movies, actors, comic books, and etc. and it’s one of the coolest websites ever for having SO much information. I also find it interesting that many fandoms have their own Wikipedia site, such as the Marvel comics’ wiki, or my personal favorite, Star Wars’ ‘Wookiepedia’ site. These sites always have such an overload of information and I have spent hours researching on so much comic book lore my brain melts. Seriously.


These types of projects also make me wonder what else could be done with crowdsourcing. There is so much raw talent out there just waiting to be discovered, it makes one think, how can we tap into it?

No comments:

Post a Comment